Old Frames and Old Magazines Make New Art


This isn't really housework--more about house decorating--but it was still a house project that I tackled, so I think it works.

I had these bird prints hanging in my kitchen. They go all around the backsplash, underneath the cabinets. I hung them there because the granite only goes about a quarter of the way up the wall and the wall looked very blank.



The Golfer has never been too crazy about the bird prints. He says they look like an old lady's house (which makes sense since they came from my step-grandmothers house--who by the way had great taste.)

Then in a recent copy of Better Homes and Gardens I saw a girls kitchen decorated with vintage copies of Gourmet magazine. The covers were framed and looked both vintage and modern at the same time. Very cool.

So I found some old copies of Gourmet magazine on eBay. They aren't very vintage, but I bought all 12 copies from the year 2000--the year I got married--which I thought was cool--for only 99 cents.


Being the good recycler/reuser that I am, I decided that there was no reason to buy new mats and frames when the ones I had worked perfectly fine. So I carefully removed each bird print (there were 6 in all), cleaned up the glass and the frame, and carefully removed the magazine covers that I wanted to use. I used removable acid-free tape to secure the cover and...tada!


I think they turned out fabulous and only cost me 99 cents (plus $8.49 in shipping--but still, all for under 10 bucks!)


Bye-bye birdies!

10 comments :

Brenda said...

Very cool idea! A great look with a frugal price tag!

The Proverbs Wife said...

Great idea.

Heart of Wisdom said...

Cute...I like that idea...

Thanks for sharing.

robin@heartofwisdom.com
http://www.heartofwisdom.com/heartathome/

The Apron Queen said...

Dang! Can't beat 99 cents, can ya?! Great ideas. :)

I'm tackling muddy laundry today. Come see why! :)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Very cute!!!

Check out my post where I attempted to build a deck box. By myself. With two kids.
Mommy Always Wins

Dawn said...

Very creative!! You did an awesome job!

Dawn said...

I likey! Great idea and a great idea for re-purposing an item.

Anonymous said...

They look so nice! Awesome idea!

Anonymous said...

I like the birds, but I like the magazines too. Great job!
Toni

Anonymous said...

what are those napkins in the picture. great kitchen idea!