Leprechauns, and Easter Bunnies, and Jesus...oh my!

It is such a beautiful day outside! Does this mean that the Leprechaun woke up and saw his shadow or am I getting my minor holidays confused?

I did my part to celebrate this morning. I woke up a little early to make the boys green eggs and ham. What does green eggs and ham have to do with St. Patrick's Day? Nothing. A fact that was proven when my son asked, "Why do we celebrate St. Patrick's Day?" and I had nothing to tell him.

Here's what I know:

  • You're supposed to wear green or you risk getting pinched.
  • There's rainbows and pots of gold and something about the "Luck of the Irish."
  • There are a lot of adults who will consume large amounts of green beer.
  • People will eat weird things liked corned beef.
  • Leprechauns show up at preschools to wreck havoc and leave behind gold coins filled with chocolate.
  • Those leprechaun traps that you make in preschool never work.
  • Preschools are the best place to celebrate holidays.
  • Shamrocks are the "symbol" of the day. Why? I have no earthly idea. Maybe I should have paid more attention in preschool.

But none of that actually answered my son's question.

To top it off, on the way to school he asked me why we celebrate Good Friday.

This one I had an answer for. After explaining Good Friday and Jesus's death on the cross, the Resurrection and Easter Sunday my son asked me, "So what does all that have to do with the Easter Bunny?"

He's just getting too smart for his own good! At least I know that the logical reasoning part of his brain is really working.

He caught me so off guard that I really didn't know what to say, but I knew what I wanted to say. What I wanted to say was, "Nothing. Bunny rabbits have absolutely nothing to do with the true meaning of Easter." But there was no way in hell that I was going to look at my innocent 8 year-old and murder the Easter Bunny with my words.

So since I was suddenly in an Easter frame of mind, I headed off to Target in my Shamrocked green shirt to buy plastic eggs to fill with candy to donate to our church's Easter Sunday Egg Hunt.

No wonder my son's so confused.

No comments :