And everyone said, "Amen!"

Dinner last night was fairly typical except for one thing: my son decided that he wanted to pray.

I'd like to say that we always pray before every meal, but the truth is that we never do. I didn't grow up in a home that prayed before meals so it just isn't something that I ever think about. I grew up in a home that always ate dinner with the T.V. on which is why my mom and I are so good at answering questions on "Family Feud" like "Name something that you'd find in a baby's diaper" and "Name a place that you don't go on a first date."

My boys are growing up much like I did and thanks to T.V. dinners, they can quote most of the lines from shows like "Friends" and "The Office" which are typically on during the Freeman dinner hour. There's nothing funnier than hearing an 8 year-old say, "How you doin'?" followed by his 5 year-old little brother replying, "That's what she said!"

So like I said, last night was pretty typical. "The Office" was on and we were enjoying our macaroni noodles with sauce and Leisure baby peas. Then out of no where, the Monkey looks at me from across the table and says, "I want to say my prayer."

"What? You do? Great!"

"Yes. But you need to turn down the T.V. first Mom."

Okie-dokie then.

Once the T.V. was turned down (not off, I mean...we're not crazy!) my Monkey laced his fingers together, bowed his head, and started to pray. I can't remember it word for word, but it went something like this:

Dear Jesus,

Thank you for family. Thank you for my house. Thank you for my brother and my mommy and my daddy and my grandmoms and my poppy. The end.

It was the best prayer I have ever heard in my entire life. My son had wanted to pray. He wasn't asked to do it. He wasn't prompted to do it. He wanted to do it. And it made me want to cry.

I then looked at his older brother and asked, "Buddy, would you like to say a prayer?"

"Nope. Not right now. I'm good. Can you turn back up the T.V.?"

And suddenly we were right back to where we started.

And everyone said, "Amen!"

No comments :