Safer Lip Scrub

The other day I found my original post about switching to safer beauty products. I talked a lot about "being green" in that post. But I have since learned that in the beauty industry, words like green, eco-friendly, and all-natural don't mean anything. (These terms aren't regulated by the FDA who oversees the cosmetics industry.) Just because I buy something that claims to be "all-natural" I cannot assume that that product is good for me.

Instead of "going green" with our beauty products, we need to be "going SAFER." Safer means choosing to products from companies, like Beautycounter, that are transparent about the ingredients they use, choosing to stay away from know toxic chemicals. Switching to safer products takes time. I often tell people the key is to swap slowly. When you use up your night cream, use that as an opportunity to try a safer product. Don't overwhelm yourself and your bank account with switching everything all at once. Unless you have a ton of extra cash sitting around, no one can afford to throw away everything under their sink and start fresh.

But here's the thing. There are simple, inexpensive things you can do right now, things that you have in your pantry right this very minute that you can use as part of your beauty routine that are safer, healthier choices. I used up all of my Beautycounter Rejuvenating Eye Cream the other night, but instead of putting the jar in the recycling bin I'm giving it new life with a DIY LIP SCRUB!

Here's the recipe:
3 Tablespoons of sugar
1 Tablespoon organic coconut oil
1.5 Tablespoons honey
Stir well and put in a small, clean jar. (All amounts are approximates. This makes more than enough for my jar. Play with the amounts until you get the right consistency.) I used some washy tape to finish it up for an easy label. Beautycounter's Rejuvenating Eye Cream and Lip Conditioner jars are perfect for this but of course any small jar will work!


1 comment :

Niki G said...

LOVE THIS!!! ❤️ I think I could do this....... I have tried to make homemade shower bombs with essential oils, it failed. 😜