Stephenie's Detox Green Juice


While walking around a local farmer's market with my husband, the two of us enjoying a fresh cold-pressed juice, I said something along the lines of, "If I had a juicer I'd make fresh juice all of the time!"

A week later on Mother's Day I opened my very own juicer proving that sometimes husbands actually listen. (However he never seems to be listening when I mention the diamond earrings or whatever expensive handbag I'm currently coveting, but I digress...) I do love my juicer and I have learned to make juice in batches to cut down on the cleaning. Best of all, I'm learning to make healthy juices that are damn tasty!

I'm not always the best about making sure I am eating my daily servings of fruits and vegetables. Juicing makes it easy. I get all of the unprocessed nutrients, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and antioxidants that help remove free radicals that are responsible for aging, tissue damage, and disease. (Juicing does remove the fiber which has important health benefits as well, so I would never recommend only getting your fruits and veggies through juicing.)



My Detox Green Juice

This juice is an easy one to make. You will need the following:

  • 2 Green Apples, cut into quarters 
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper, stem removed
  • 1 Cucumber, peeled
  • A handful of Spinach
  • 2 stalks of Celery
  • 1/2 lemon, peeled

ApplesContain phytonutrients and antioxidants that may help reduce the risk of developing cancer, diabetes, and heart disease.

Green Bell Pepper: An excellent source of vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), vitamin C and vitamin B6, a very good source of folate, vitamin E, vitamin B2, and potassium.

Cucumber: Very hydrating, helps flush out toxins, contains vitamins A, B, C which boosts immunity and gives you energy, and has skin-friendly mineral like magnesium, potassium, and silicon.

Spinach: Hello Super Food! High in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fiber, vitamins A, C, E, K and B6, folatecalcium, iron, and magnesium.

Celery: Has antioxidants that act as anti-inflammatories, has a diuretic effect to reduce bloating and boost digestion, helps to protect the liver and prevent ulcers.

Lemon: Balances your pH, contains potassium, vitamin C, aids in digestion and has been known to support weight loss. 



What I love about juicing is that you can put the whole fruit or juicing in with very little prep. Wash everything, of course, and then just start adding to your juicer. 




You will end up with lots of pulp. I wish there was something good to do with it, and perhaps there is, but I always just throw it away. I use these bottles from Bormioli Rocco. Two batches of the above recipe will make about 20 ounces, perfect for storing some and drinking the rest. 

Don't have a juicer? Don't let that stop you! You could also make a whole fruit version of this recipe if you have a strong blender (think Vitamix, which I also love.) Just be sure to remove all stems, cores, peels/skins, seeds, etc. before blending. I use the Kuvings Whole Slow Juicer and although it can be a pain to clean, I do love it.

And I really love my green juice.



No comments :