It's the thought that counts. Right?

Valentine's Day is only a couple of weeks away.  This will be the 18th Valentine's Day that the Golfer has been my Valentine.  18 years.  18 years of funny cards, silly cards, sexy cards, mushy card, Boxer shorts covered in X's and O's.  Cologne that he never wears.  18 years of all kinds of presents filled with hugs and kisses.

Yeah.  I'm all out of ideas.  

Guys have it easy.  A beautiful bouquet of flowers, a sweet card, and a nice night out without the kids and he's golden!  But buying a Valentine's present for a guy?  Well that's just hard.  Buying presents for men is hard no matter what the holiday, but Valentines' day is extra hard because, let's face it, it's a holiday meant for girls. 

My Valentine doesn't really care that much about presents.  It's not his Love Language.  I mean, sure, he loves to get gifts, but if Valentine's Day came and went and he didn't get anything he really wouldn't care.

I would care.  I would care a lot.  But for once we're not talking about me.

Even though Valentine's Day is a made up holiday that's all about flowers and chocolate and date nights (3 of my favorite things), it's not a holiday that I care that much about.  I guess I'm...over it.  I guess that's what happens after 8 years of dating, 10 years of marriage, and 2 kids.  You no longer have the energy necessary to be overly romantic in the middle of February.

If I think about it for too long it kinda upsets me.  I love romance.  I love to cuddle and go on coffee dates.  I love it when we get to spend the day together, just the two of us.  I love it when he vacuums without being asked.  

Yeah, my Love Language is a clean house.

Something just occurred to me.  Now I have to worry that he'll read this post.  Then when I'm sad that we didn't do anything for Valentine's Day he'll say, "But you said in your post that you didn't care!"  

Marriage tip #364: Never give a man ammunition in your blog to use against you in a material court of law.

So I have 2 weeks.  2 weeks to come up with something romantic.  2 weeks to think of something that will show my man that, yes, I am a tired, over-scheduled mama that's not quiet the girl she was 18 years ago, but I can still make time for love.

I guess.

1 comment :

kelly johnson said...

bowling?
(a Golfer might like that...and they serve Adult Beverages)