The Monkey #1: Neglecting my poor second child


I've started to realize that the Cheese, my oldest, tends to get more blogging time than his little brother. I guess this to be be expected. He is, after all, the first to do everything. He's hitting all of the milestones first--having all sorts of picture/blog worthy experiences three years ahead of his brother.

Poor guy's been getting less press coverage because he lacks experience. That's just not right.

I love my sons equally. There's no doubt about that. But I love my two sons for totally different reasons, which only makes sense because they are two totally different little beings. But today, I want to talk about the Monkey.


The Monkey is pure joy. He's my lover--my cuddlier. He loves to kiss, kiss, kiss and gives hugs that are so tight you have to beg for mercy.

The Monkey is also a total crack up. He's a ham--a total goof-ball. It makes me smile to know that he has such a great, natural sense of humor. I know that it will serve him well throughout his life. And it doesn't hurt that he's so darn cute.


He's a great at sharing--quite a feat for a 3-year-old--and makes friends easily. He's really friendly and not a bit shy.

He'll tell you "I'm not a baby. I'm a brother." and that we live in "Califorjah." He loves to give you a thumbs up and a wink, and while sharing a bag of chips the other day smiled at me and said, "You and me, Mom. You and me."

I have no idea where he gets this stuff.

But my sweet baby is far, far from perfect. He doesn't listen very well and has already learned that his cuteness often gets him out of trouble. He can be very sneaky--especially when it comes to stealing his Pop's change off of the bathroom counter. And he will often do whatever he wants even though you've told him a thousand times not to.


He's ornery and is the child that every one in our family seems to think will give me fits the older he gets. But I don't believe that--I'm not going to speak that onto his spirit. His heart is good and I predict that whatever "trouble" that he gets into in the future will be because his adventurous nature will get the best of him.

I better start praying for him now.

1 comment :

Dawn said...

Great post. I loved the pictures of Monkey!

If I've not mentioned it before you really need to read Wild at Heart by John Eldridge. It is an excellent book about raising boys. It gives tons of insight into the way God created them and how to raise them and not squelch them.