Weighty Issues: Day 3

Update:  I'm not dead.  I just feel like I am.

Okay, I'm exaggerating.  I'm not as sore as I could be, but I'm sore all the same.  Day 1 was good.  It was really a day to test my strength and endurance.  I think I did okay.

She had me keep a food journal the week before our first meeting.  Not a good week to be keeping a food journal: we went to a UCLA basketball game (hot dog, chips), shopped at the mall (California Pizza Kitchen), went to the Rose Parade (dried cereal and peanut butter crackers), and my birthday (many, many cupcakes).

Impressive, no?

Well, even with the crazy food week, it was easy to see that I was eating sugar every day.  Every day.  After lunch.  After dinner.  For a snack.  And I wonder why I need to drop of few pounds.

But as Oprah has been know to say, sugar is "my drug of choice."  Sugar gives me that high that I need.  It makes me feel better.  And it tastes SOOOO good.  Duh.

I can't have sugar any more.  None.  Nada.  I'm like an alcoholic--I can't have just a taste, I have to have it all.  So, I have gone two days with no sugar and I've actually survived.  I'm not saying that I haven't wanted it.  Oh, I've wanted it all right.  Especially in the evenings, after the kids have gone to bed and something sweet would taste so good.  But I've refrained.  It's helped that I've gotten all of the sweets out of the house.  All that's left is the kids Halloween bags of candy.  I'd feel bad throwing out their treats.  So instead I'm letting them eat it by the hand full.  The quicker they eat it, the faster that it will be gone.

My boys think I rock right now.

Have you been watching Oprah's Best Life Week?  It's pretty good I must say.  Maybe it's because I can so relate to what Oprah is going through right now (yes, Oprah and I have SOOO much in common), but it's is worth recording on the DVR and watching multiple times.

Watch this and just pretend that it's me talking instead of Oprah. (Of course, I don't have a thyroid problem or have my own show, but you'll get the idea just the same.)

So yesterday, even though I was sore, my trainer (Kim) told me to walk for 20-30 minutes.  For the first time, I was actually fired up to exercise.  I didn't choose the easy route--flat, no hills--but instead challenged myself with some of the smaller hills in our neighborhood.  Two days of working out in a row and I was damn proud of myself.  So pitifully sad but true.

Today, I'll go for my second workout with Kim, which means tomorrow is going to suck.

Pray for me.

1 comment :

Dawn said...

Good for you!! You'll be fit in no time.

I don't normally watch oprah but I have watched this week. It's been good and insightful.