There's too much organic produce in the house! (And that's a good thing.)

Last Saturday morning I got up early to pick up this crate.



Every Saturday, for around 40 bucks, I bring home fresh organic produce.  Straight from the farmer to my family.  (I'm not getting paid for this endorsement, but I suddenly feel like I should be.)

Through a program called Abundant Harvest, my family will be eating fresh veggies that they probably wouldn't be otherwise.  It costs about the same as buying organic in the grocery store--that is, if you can find these kind of veggies freshly picked at your local store. It's just like going to a farmers market--everything's locally grown.  They just take the headache of shopping out of it.

You don't get to pick what's in your crate.  As the Monkey would say, "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."  All I have to do is go to a nearby parking lot, hand over a card with our name on it, and they hand me a big beautifully filled crate that I will return next week to pick up another beautifully filled crate.  The fruits and veggies in the crate are always seasonal, and in this week's crate I opened it up to find this:


green leaf lettuce, arugula, grapes, basil, granny smith apples...


and figs, tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, avacados....


red onions, carrots, pears, eggplant, a melon, an acorn squash, yellow summer squash, zucchini, and red potatoes.

90% of what was in my crate were things that I would buy normally.  The eggplant, figs and arugula are about the only things that I wouldn't normally buy, but that's a good thing.  It's forcing me to cook new things.  It's forcing our family to try new things because you just never know.  As my mother was known to say when I was a small, picky eater, "Try it.  You might like it."

No comments :