My Go-To Protein Smoothie

I started making this several years ago after my girlfriend, Amy, passed along the recipe. I've tweaked the recipe every so slightly and made it a little bit of my own. It could be any easier. I usually make one on the mornings that I have a pilates or barre class. Gives me the energy I need without filling me up too much. I learned the hard way that doing back extensions at pilates on a full tummy is NOT a good idea.


The Ingredients:
  • Banana
  • Chocolate Protein Powder
  • Almond Milk
  • Nut Butter
  • Collagen Peptides
  • Ice


Start with the banana. I use the whole banana because I'm not a fan of half bananas lying around my kitchen countertops.


I add 2 cups of almond milk. I'm a big fan of Califia Farms Vanilla Almond Milk. They also have plain, unsweetened and other flavors as well. I've used all of them and honestly can't tell a huge difference when I switch them up, but the vanilla tends to be my regular. (I also like Califia Farms Almond Coffee Creamer. Very yummy!)


Next I add a tablespoon of nut butter. My preference is almond butter, but I have also used SunButter (made from sunflower seeds) and of course just good ol' regular peanut butter but that adds too much sugar so I try to stay away. My favorite almond butter is Justin's Honey Almond Butter. So good!


The protein powder that you choose to use can really effect the taste of your smoothie. I like PlantFusion Complete Plant Protein in Chocolate because it gives me that little bit of chocolate flavor that I want but isn't overpowering. I use a plant-based protein because I like that it is vegan and also contains no dairy or soy. I first switched over to this protein powder when I started Whole 30.


This next addition is a new one. Like, in the last week. That's how new. I was recently introduced to collagen peptides by another blogger who said she used them in her smoothies. When I saw the words "anti-aging" and read about the benefits for your skin, hair, nails, joints, and bones, well I was SOLD! The kind I use is unflavored so it does not effect the taste.



Finally, add about 1 cup of ice and blend well! This makes enough for a full meal replacement drink, or can easily be shared for a quick breakfast treat.



No comments :