Minimizing My Life: Giving Up Being Busy



As I've practiced minimizing my life, I have taken so much pleasure in less. Through the process I have discovered embracing self-care. I no longer feel even the slightest bit of guilt taking time to do things for myself. So for Lent this year, I am giving up being busy. I am freeing myself from any guilt associated with intentionally inserting peace into my daily routine.

Finding peaceful moments to quiet your mind and treat yourself to something enjoyable is essential in life. It's the healthiest and smartest thing you can do for yourself. I'm so tired of hearing about how busy everyone is. It's like this badge of honor that people wear proudly. "Oh, I'm just soooooo busy!" Why is that? Why is everyone so proud about being so busy? Sure, our calendars are full and our to-do lists are long, but that doesn't mean that we have to be busy. The word "busy" is negative. It implies that you have no room for the things that you enjoy. Lamenting about how busy you are implies that you have little time for joy. It's okay to not be busy. It's okay to slow down and have less to do. It's okay to say no to something that doesn't bring you joy in order to participate in something that does.

I don't want "busy" in my life. I want activities and moments and people who will bring joy and positivity, healthy and happiness. Here are a few of the things that bring those things into my life:

  1. Taking a hot baths with epsom salts and essentials oils. Including a good book and this is absolutely the best way to end my day. Sacred tub time is a must for me.
  2. Applying a face masks 2/3 times a week like these from Beautycounter. Putting a mask on your face is 10 minutes of slowing down. Masks that will detox, brighten, and plump your skin are always a treat. And of course I love Beautycounter because I know that these masks are both safe and highly effective.
  3. Escaping with an audio book while cleaning the house and folding laundry. People wonder how I find the time to read. One of the ways I do it is listening to audio books through Audible. Makes time fly by while sitting in carpool line and walking 18 holes on the golf course. 
  4. Putting my favorite scent in a diffuser every morning. Diffusing essential oils have replaced all of the candles in my house. I have always loved a good smelling candle, but I no longer trust the fragrances that they use. Instead, I scent my home with essential oils that not only make my house smell good but also give added health benefits.
  5. Giving myself a mani + pedi with a safer, non-toxic polish like these from Côte. (More about safer nail polish choices in a blog post coming soon.)
  6. Meditating. Breathing deep, letting go of all negative thoughts and energy, and focusing on what God wants me to hear. I need to be doing this twice a day but I'm good to do it once. There are different apps out there to help you with your meditation. I personally like Calm.
  7. Continuing my Pilates and Barre workout routine. Pilates has been a lifesaver for me. It has made me such a healthier person and has absolutely changed my life. And for a person who used to drone on about how much I hated working out, this is a HUGE statement.
  8. Reading an interesting article that will expand your view of the world. At the beginning of the year, one of my resolutions was to start reading The New Yorker. I'm loving my subscription more than I ever thought I would.
  9. Making my own latte with a good frothier and just...sit. Peace can often be found in a latte mug and a quiet room. This can be a challenge when we are so used to being on the go all of the time, but nothing makes me happier than when I cozy up in my favorite chair with a blanket and a good book in one hand a my homemade latte in the other.
Perhaps your list looks a little different than mine. Maybe you found a few thing on mine that you want to add to yours. Whatever your list looks like, I hope that you will take busy out of your life and care for yourself with the things that bring you joy. 


No comments :