"Ok Google...How do I get rid of neck wrinkles?"


Yep. I just googled, "How to get rid of neck wrinkles." Sigh.

I took my mom to barre class last week (she did awesome by the way) and one of my friends said, "This is your mom? Oh my goodness...look at that skin!" This isn't the first time I've heard this. The women on my mother's side of the family have great skin that I was lucky enough to inherit. However, there's another thing I developed from all of those same women, a big ol' line across my neck. Mine arrived like clockwork around the time I turned 40 and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Hence the reason I've recently found myself reading articles that throw out depressing/disgusting terms like "turkey neck" and "hanging jowls."




Here I am in all of my undoctored, unfiltered glory. See that line that cuts the middle of my neck? Yeah, that's my inheritance that makes me cringe every time I look in the mirror. Did you know that some people refer to your neck as your "second face?" Well my "second face" looks a hell of a lot older that my actual face. I can't place all of the blame on my genetic code. I mostly blame myself for not taking better care of the delicate skin on my neck. I have been so diligent about taking care of my skin my whole life. My neck I have total ignored. Until now.

I know that I could probably have some Botox shot into my neck or some other expensive treatment, but I feel like that is a last resort. I wanted to find healthier, safer options first. The skin on your neck is very delicate and is the fastest part of the body to age. It also has much less collagen than your face, making it more susceptible to wrinkles and sagging. And did you know that spraying perfume on your neck causes dehydration which can cause wrinkles? As if you needed another reason to get rid of that perfume!

So put some lavender in your diffuser and get out the rosé ladies, it's time for a spa night!

Step 1: Steam. This is easy. You'll need a bowl of hot water (not so hot that it would burn) and a clean wash cloth. Dip the wash cloth in the bowl, saturating the cloth. Wring out the excess water. Gently place the wash cloth across your neck for 2-3 minutes. This is getting your skin ready for the next step. Hang on to that wash cloth. You're gonna need it again.

Step 2: Exfoliate. For this step, I like to make my own using simple, natural ingredients. You need a small bowl, 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking soda, a few drops of almond oil (enough to moisten the scrub but not too much to make it runny), and a drop or two of frankincense essential oil. Mix together and scrub on your clean neck. Leave for 2-3 minutes. Use your wash cloth with warm water to remove. (Wash out the cloth. You need it one more time.) The scrub will help get rid of dry skin and dead skin cells. The frankincense helps to tone and tighten the skin. Lemongrass would be another great oil to use since it works as a toner and an astringent.

Step 3: Mask. This one is my favorite step because it includes our new Beautycounter+ No. 2 Plumping Mask. This mask, made with peony root extract, plumps the skin and restores the elasticity. The directions are simple. On a clean neck, rub a thin layer of the mask. Let it dry for 10 minutes before washing it off with that leftover wash cloth.

Step 4: Mist. Each of our Beautycounter+ collections include a mask, mist and an oil. The mists are a step you don't want to skip. This mist is important for anyone concerned with dry skin, elasticity, and smoothing fine lines. All it takes is three sprays across the neck, making sure it's completely covered. Let dry. This will help restore moisture to your skin. Speaking of moisture...

Step 5: Moisturize. Wrinkles often appear when our skin is dehydrated so keeping your skin moisturized is key. Face oils are an excellent way to rehydrate your skin. Our No. 2 Face Oil is made with jasmine and argan oil. The jasmine helps to boost hydration, while argan minimizes the appearance of fine lines. And it smells fantastic! You only need 5 drops to gently pat along your neck. If you really want to moisturize, follow with Beautycounter's Rejuvenating Night Cream.

So that's currently how I am giving those pesky neck wrinkles on my neck the finger. I try to do this 2-3 times a week. I am also much better about remembering my neck in my daily skin care routine, always making sure to moisturize both morning and night. My second face is looking better already. And I hope that it goes without saying that all of our Beautycounter+ Collections are meant for your first face too!

Curious about any of the Beautycounter products mentioned above? Check out all of our Beautycounter+ Collections right here.



No comments :