Works for Me Wednesday: Good Things folder

I've ripped things out of magazine for years. A good recipes, a parenting tip, whatever might come in handy at some point in time. But after a while, those magazine pages start to pile up and before long you have so many stacked up you don't ever bother going through it all.

A couple of years back I started putting all of my "Good Things" in 3-ring binders. Using page protectors, I'm able to keep them clean and organized. I have one for recipes, another folder for general house/entertaining stuff. But the folder that I am the most proud of is the folder full of good things for kids.


I've broken the folder down into four categories:


Section #1 (separated by dividers) is kind of the catch-all. All of the parenting ideas that you see in magazines. You know the cute ideas but you know in reality will never happen? That's where those go.

Section #2 is kind of like section #1 except it's all about fun crafts to do with the kids. I can't say that I've ever used a lot of the ideas that I have in here (isn't that what preschool is for?) but it makes me feel like a good mother just to have 'em.

Section #3 is a good one. These are fun recipes that only a kid can appreciate, like a cupcake made to look like a basket ball hoop (for March Madness) and doughnut holes made to look like acorns (for fall break.)

Section #4 is my favorite. It's the party section. All of those cute ideas that you see for birthday parties go in here. Some of the cutest birthday cake ideas that I've ever taken credit for came from this section.

I can't say that I look at this folder weekly, but I do take it off of the shelf with my recipe books and other "Good Things" folders occasionally to flip through it. The best part is having a place to put that recipe for cupcakes that look like corn on the cob.

Organization. It's a good thing and it works for me.


6 comments :

Dawn said...

I did the same thing a few years ago. Sadly, I didn't keep up with it. But, I still tear things out of magazines all the time. Usually only recipes. I cut them out and tape them into my recipe book.

Good for you for being so organized!!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea! I am always trying to file things away and keep up with them, but this works so much better!
Thanks!

Kama said...

That's a great idea! I think I'm going to have to try this as well. I have a HUGE stack of magazines that I need to go through (I was supposed to do it this summer). Maybe I will start today... My husband does this with house ideas (he's an architect), but his just go in a file folder. Thanks for the post!

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

Wow - that's great. I'm a magazine "ripper", too. I know I need to implement a system like this but haven't yet - as evidenced by the stacks of magazine pages piled on my desk at home.

Unknown said...

I am not worthy of your awesome organization skills. Wow.

Beth Ann said...

Stephanie!

I do the same thing only it is my "wish book"- a simple 3 ring binder with all my clippings of remodeling ideas, things for the kids' room, my bathroom...when we are ready to remodel- I'll be ready and waiting!
:)
PS- I also hole-punched a Ziplock baggie and in it are a small pair of scissors, glue stick and pen. That way I am always ready to cut and make notes!