This won't hurt a bit.

Today I had my first mammogram. Yes, you're right. I am too young to be having to get mammogram. But due to my grandmother having breast cancer and other cancers in my family, my doctor thought it best to go ahead and get a baseline started.

She actually beat me to it. I had walked into the appointment thinking that I was going to ask her about that very thing. I had just spent the whole month of October reading about different women and their breast cancer stories. It's hard to get through the month of October without being reminded of the importance of breast cancer awareness. So I thought, "Sure, why not" when she suggested it.

But I have to be honest. I was a little nervous about the whole thing. I always heard about how uncomfortable the whole experience is; that it hurts a little and is fairly unpleasant when they smack your boob up on the table and flatten it like a pancake. But it wasn't the pain that had me a little shaky. I mean, I've had 2 c-sections and breast fed both boys, so a little boobie squishing didn't sound like that big of a deal.

For any of you nervous about the squishing, don't be. It really isn't that big of a deal. Sure, having my boobs manhandled and misshapen isn't something that I'd want to do on a regular basis, but it certainly isn't something to be afraid of. My suggestion? Don't look down. My watermelons looked like a flesh colored cookie cake.

But seriously, what I was nervous about was the possibility that they might actually find something. I have no reason to believe that they will, but isn't that what makes people nervous about going to the doctor in the first place? You walk in for a check-up perfectly healthy and you walk out with a myriad of issues and problems that you didn't know that you had.

So I'll wait a couple of weeks to get a letter telling me that all is clear. I have faith. God knows what a bad sick person I am.

On a lighter note...here are some pics from Halloween and the Cheese's final football game, curitosy of Grandmoms. Ahhh, the beauty of having a professional photographer for a mother. (And these only sratch the surface of all of the great pics that she took. Thanks, Mom.)


Daddy and Uncle Dust and the boys get ready to hit the neighborhood...



Mama and Daddy on Halloween. Like my costume? I made it myself...



Aunt Kay and the Cheese busy carving a pumpkin...



Mama and her Baby Yoda at the preschool parade...



The Cheese played center for the final three games...



The Cheese's cheering section. (Aunt Kay, Mama, Uncle Dust, and Pop)



The parent tunnel at the end of the game...



The Cheese receiving his first trophy...



Boobs, Halloween, and football. Not such an odd combination after all. Sounds like some kind of male fantasy.

1 comment :

Dawn said...

LOL I love the combination!

The picture of Cheese and the pumpkin carving is precious!

I'm so glad to hear the boobie squishing wasn't so bad. I'm having it done after the first of the year. I FINALLY quit nursing Camryn so now I can have it done. My mom is a breast cancer survivor so it is important for me to get that baseline one done. Plus, I'll be 40 in a couple of weeks! Eeek!!

Tell your mom - great photos!