Children say the darndest things.

Sitting in the barbershop waiting for his brother to get his hair cut, the Monkey looked at me and said, "My penis is standing up."

What am I supposed to say to that?

No, I mean it. What am I supposed to say? Because I seriously have no earthly idea. I do not have a penis and I do not know what to do (or say) when it is "standing up."

Well, before I even had a chance to say anything, he reaches into his pants to...well...do what he needs to do so it won't stand up anymore. Whatever that may be.

And please know that this isn't the first time that we've had this problem. And for whatever reason it keeps happening when we are out in public. I guess they are just really excited to be out of the house. Who knows.

But I'm not kidding. I need some advice on what to say because I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this won't be the last time that this happens. As a matter of fact, it probably will only get a lot worse. Luckily, I know that eventually they will not want to tell me about it.

2 comments :

Rita said...

Oh my my my. That's happened to me before. I said (as calm as I could be) "well of course it's standing up, all penis's stand up sometimes. No worries. It'll lay back down in a minute".

I have no idea if that was the right thing to say.

jjofar said...

oh my, rita...good answer!!
i am just glad you posted this blog because i myself have been wondering what to say to such things!! having 3 young boys, i am just waiting for my moment. my luck it will happen at church or someplace equally as quiet.