Don't judge me.

So here's the story.  I take my two dogs to the groomer on Monday morning.  (Yes, I already own two dogs.)  That day they were also having dog adoptions.  It was risky just walking into the store.

I had no intention of adopting a dog that day.  But there was a little puppy there rescued from South Central L.A. and he needed us.

I think my exact words when I walked into the house and saw the Golfer was, "Now don't be mad."
















He's a total mutt.  A mixture that we named Norman.  When people ask me what kind of dog he is, I'm going to say, "Californian."

But three dogs?  I know that it seems a little...nuts, and I've wondered in the last 48 hours if I'm hitting some kind of mid-life crisis, but then I had an epiphany when I woke up yesterday.  I can't have anymore kids so to replace the baby that my uterus has been longing to have, I went out and adopted a dog instead.

"It could have been worse," I told the Golfer.  "I could have gone down to South Central and bought a kid instead."

Much like Freddie, our other rescue puppy, this dog is just happy to have a home.  He's 8 months old and love to play and fetch a ball and sit on your lap.  Instead of snuggling with my new baby, I'm snuggling with Norman.

I come by this naturally.  I've always had pets, multiple pets.  In my lifetime I have owned a total of 6 dogs, 3 cats, 1 rabbit, a couple of parakeets, and one goldfish that lasted about 1 hour.  Oh, and then there's the 2 guinea pigs that I bought for my boys and the beta fish that the Golfer brought home with the Cheese (but you can read all about that in my book.)

A home without animals just feels weird to me.
















Could you have just left him there?

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

He looks pretty happy on the white Pottery Barn sofa!

ThatsBaloney said...

That pup is ADORABLE!
I think I will surprise my own Golfer (the Doc) with an extra pup one day when my kids are a little older. For now the two giant dogs and the hamster are enough.
No way I would've been able to walk past Norman. I had a dream last night that I found puppies all over the yard -- and then I read this post. Hmmmm.