Lola Lane: Back to the remodel.

demo is always fun, especially when you're an eleven year old boy who is handed a hammer and told it's okay to punch a hole in the wall.

As much as I'm sure you have loved hearing all about my Whole 30 adventures (Day 12, by the way) I know a lot of you are anxious for me to show more pictures of our recent home remodel.

So much was done in such a crazy, short about of time (emphasis on the word crazy, double emphasis on the word short) that my pictures are hit and miss. I really wanted to take as many pictures of each step of the progress, showing step by step of what we did, but I wasn't very successful.

Mostly I was just trying to stay out of the way of the construction. When your contractors are under the gun, the last thing they need is a housewife getting in their way to take pictures.

One room that I definitely don't have pictures for is the utility room. And it's too bad because there was quite a bit of work done in there for such a small space.

There was nothing fun or special about the utility room when we moved in. Most people wouldn't care about a utility room being either of those things, but it was important to me. Moms spend a lot of time in utility rooms. More time than any of us actual want. All the more reason for it to be a room with a little bit of personality. And if you can make it feel less like a horrible dungeon, all the better.

Here are the before pictures:


There's nothing wrong with this space. Very functional. But the cabinets were old. The granite counter top was small and totally out of place. The light fixture was missing its globe. And the water line was totally out in the open for everyone to see.


Here's what I wanted:
  • to be able to stack my front loading machines
  • more cabinets next to the sink since we would be losing the cabinets above
  • move the water line
  • move the dryer vent
  • a new light fixture
  • paint
  • leave the tile (wood floors in the utility didn't make a lot of sense)
Compared to the rest of the house, this was an extremely short punch list. To be able to stack the machines they would have to move all of the lines. And if they moved all of the lines, it was necessary to build out the wall a little bit which would mean I would lose a couple of inches of floor space. Fine with me. Totally worth it to get this outcome:


Isn't this a fun and exciting place to do your laundry? I think so!


The artwork makes the space I think. It's a mixture, some of the boys, even some plates that the Golfer colored when he was a little boy. There's a watercolor of our first home, a frame-less oil painting that the Golfer bought me for Mother's Day one year, and a wood plaque with a picture of our home state with the word "Home" on it. I love mixing pieces like this.
 

And yes, that is a mini fridge in the middle of the cabinets. Just in case I need a cold beer while folding laundry. (Seriously though, this was from our old house. We loved it and used it a ton. Since the utility is right off of the kitchen, this was the only best place for it.)
 


This light fixture from Stray Dog Designs is a favorite. I saved it from our last home. It used to reside over our kitchen table, but I love it here just as much. 



This orange pig is another one of my favorites. He hasn't always been orange, but I love him this bright color. He was given to us at a wedding shower and I was so happy to see him when I opened the box. I think I even shouted, "My pig!" He will be with me always.



Here is my other new favorite thing. This print from 3 Fish Studios up in the Bay area is the perfect addition to the space. Artwork of all kinds is a way to express who you are and what you love. I think this piece does that nicely. Showin' some equal love for both of my home states in the laundry room.


1 comment :

Amy Sullivan said...

Steph--loved reading this. I too just remodeled my laundry room. You would have thought it was a master bedroom--I went nuts picking out all the materials to get it just so! I really wanted to sleep in it the first few nights.

AND, that California print is from my favorite artist, Annie Galvin! Her husband, Eric Rewitzer, makes up the other half of 3 Fish Studios (he does linocut pieces). I have some of her very early work and some of her iconic California pieces of late. I don't know if you've seen her Scenic Drive series--I have the one with the California poppies on it and it is my favorite!

You have great taste ;-)
-Amy