I gave up EVERYTHING for Lent.

Day 4: I feel hungover. The Whole 30 encouragement emails that I get daily said this would happen. My body is mad at me. It's yelling at me.

Where is my sugar? Where's the yogurt and toast and orange juice for breakfast? Where's my sandwich and chips at lunch? Where's my pasta heavy casserole at dinner? And where in the HELL are my cookies and ice cream?!?!

Due to my body being mad at me, it's made me very grumpy on the outside. People's heads were bitten off before breakfast. About what, I couldn't tell you. I don't remember. It's been hard to think straight. Or keep myself from biting people's heads off.

The book, the magical book that continues to encourage me to stick with this, says that this is the hardest time. That if you can make it through the first week that it will start to get better. I believe them. But it's like when I was pregnant. Everyone said the nausea would pass after the first trimester. That things would get better and I would feel great soon.

I literally threw up until the moment B was born. It was like having the stomach flu for 9 months. B is lucky he isn't an only child.

...

Today is the first day of Lent. Ash Wednesday. Lent is a season of sacrifice, prayer and penance. We are not Catholic so my home doesn't practice Lent, but as a Christian and lover of Jesus I have always admired the concept. Easter is about the ultimate sacrifice, Christ dying for us even though we didn't deserve it. Lent is about us giving something up, sacrificing something hard. Fasting from something we love. In it's place? Prayer. Meditating on God's word. Seeking God instead of that Diet Coke or piece of chocolate or the latest Real Housewives episode.

I'm gonna be seeking God a lot during the next 27 days.

...

In case you're interested. Here's what I ate yesterday:

meal one


meal two

snack

meal three

Healthy, right? I mean, it's this the way we should all be eating every day, all the time?

Yeah...that's kinda the whole point.

As the Golfer and I sat down to what some TV after the kids went to bed, we were both missing something. We were missing that sweet treat, that little naughty bite of something that you wait to have until after the kids are in bed so you don't have to share it.

Instead, we had some berries and almonds. Sure, berries are sweet. But not as sweet as a chocolate milkshake (which we didn't have but desperately wanted.) It does feel good to overcome the craving. The problem is, they keep coming back. That damn Sugar Demon.

Like I said, gonna be seeking God a lot in the next 27 days.

But who's counting.


No comments :