Day 10 or 1/3 of the way there.

At least it's a beautiful way to get your exercise.

I didn't blog yesterday and I was worried. "What if they think I have fallen off of the wagon?!?" I was in the middle of hiking 5.78 miles and hating myself with every step for being so out of shape. But I was thinking about ya'll as I was doing it. "They are going to think I didn't make it through the weekend!"

Yes, these posts have been a great place of accountability for me. Especially when I know that friends are reading and are actually being inspired. What?!? I don't think I've ever inspired anyone to do anything. Not anything healthy anyway.

From one friend...
I read several of your blogs about whole 30 and wanted to let you know that you've inspired me:) I bought the book on Friday and read some of it last night. My wife and I are going to start soon. Thanks for going ahead and I just wanted to encourage you with that!
From another...
Oh no. Just read your blog and it spoke to me. I'm kind of mad at you for potentially inspiring me to clean up my eating
This is something that I never expected. I never expected to encourage others to follow the Whole 30 plan for a healthier life. But the fact that it has inspired others...well that's huge!

I read the posts to the Golfer. "You're a trendsetter, babe!"

There really is a first for everything I guess.

You see, I was inspired by a sweet friend to start this Whole 30 journey. We were just having lunch. It wasn't her plan that day to sell me on Whole 30. She had mentioned something about not eating gluten and it started the conversation and before I knew it, I was convinced it was something I needed to do. She wasn't all in my business like, "Oh, you have to do this!" She was just telling me about her journey.

When God puts people in your path and their lives are an inspiration for you to follow His best, that's when God does some of his best work. The fact that God is now using me in the same way...well that's just nothing short of awesome.
...
  
I feel like all I do now is go to the grocery store. Going to Whole Foods has become my new favorite pastime. I know that perhaps there are cheaper places that I can be buying my groceries. Especially since so many "regular" grocery stores sell organic this and that now. But Whole Foods is an experience. I love the way it smells. I love the yummy samples (even though I can't partake in most of them right now.) I love how clean it always is. I love that I never have to wait too long to check out. I love that I can buy so much produce that's locally grown. I love the knowledgeable staff. Yes, I have a mom crush on Whole Foods. And believe me, there are worse things to have crushes on. Just keep reading...

While I was there yesterday, I visited an old friend.

Hello, lover.

This is McConnell's ice cream. I was first introduced to McConnell's when we were in Santa Barbara a couple of years ago. McConnell's is a Santa Barbara original. When a friend who lives there told us that it is a MUST TRY, I didn't hesitate. I love ice cream. It really is my sugar drug of choice. There's something extra special about this particular ice cream. I can't tell you what it is (their website can do that for me) but this stuff is extra good. Sorry Ben and Jerry, you know I'll always enjoy your Karmal Sutra, but I love someone better now.

I mean, I would make the hour drive just to get this stuff. Luckily for me, some of our local grocery stores carry a few flavors, including my favorite flavor Peppermint Stick. (Or maybe not lucky for me now that I think about it.)

I wish I was lying when I tell you that I can eat a whole pint in one sitting. Well, maybe not the whole pint, but pretty darn close. During my 39.3 mile walk for breast cancer through Santa Barbara we passed by McConnell's.

Pit stop...please?!?

If it hadn't been 9AM and closed, I would have totally stopped for some. I can eat ice cream all year, in any weather, any time of day.

Which is one of the many reasons why I'm doing the Whole 30. (sigh...)

Still being on my high from completing my hike that morning and not dieing in the process, I said goodbye to my favorite Peppermint Stick and left them in the store for someone else to love.

I had been good--no sugar, dairy, wheat, or legumes--for 9 days. I wasn't about to stop now. Not even for my most favorite thing. Whole 30 doesn't include a Whole Pint of McConnell's.

Bummer.

Disclaimer: I am NO Whole 30 expert. I'm just starting this journey. If this is something that you are interested in, please visit the Whole 30 website here.

No comments :